Where do I start?? Tips on building a better workout routine!

BTY Fitness:
Train with Zo.

I get a text or email at least once a week asking me the following question:
"Hey Zo, can you send me a workout plan?"

Truth be told, there is actually a bit of strategy that can help you to maximize the limited amount of time that you are currently dedicating towards reaching your fitness goals. Before we jump into detailed workout plans, I would like to talk a little bit about how to build a strength training workout from the ground up. For example - a detailed strength training workout plan should consider a number of individual characteristics including: experience level, age, goals, etc. etc. One of the most common mistakes that most people make, that hurts effectiveness, is failing to have a game plan and understand the basics of developing that plan before stepping into your gym workout space.

Note - this post is directed towards those of you who are either working out alone OR a bit hesitant to go workout without your trainer/workout group. I could talk about this part of working out forever, but I will keep this post short and straight to the point. Here are some tips suggestions that will hopefully help you to build a better (45-60 minute) workout routine.

************************

1. Always warm-up (5-10 minutes should get you right)

Image result for elliptical
elliptical machine

It's important to make sure that you're warming up before you jump into lifting weights. A short warm up helps to get your blood pumping, your muscles primed for destruction, and time to narrow your focus on the task at hand. Oh yea, it also helps to avoid injury. Personally, I will just jump on the elliptical for 10 minutes (I don't particularly like the treadmill), but if the gym is packed I will go ahead and grab a bench or squat rack and just warm up with some jumping jacks, high knees or something dynamic. On days where I have a little more time I like to step into the sauna for a few minutes and then jump rope for 5 rounds of 1-2 minutes long. You're probably well aware that you need to warm up, but if you are not..... I did my due diligence and my conscious is clear. 


2. Next, go for the big lift! The Compound Movement.

Image result for squat
barbell squat
A compound movement is just an exercise that focuses you to use more than one muscle group in order to complete the lift. On an upper body day this would be the bench press for me, whereas on lower body days it would be the barbell squat. There are a number of great compound movements so find what works for you... here's a link from bodybuilder.com that may help -- click here. I have to get more creative because I'm in there 6-7 days a week so on shoulder day or arm day I have to get a bit more creative. I still tend to go for the big (standing) lifts first. 3-4 sets of 10 reps is a good starting point.


3. Pick 3-4 additional exercises in your quest for greatness.

Image result for weight exercises
After the big lift I will go for 3 to 4 additional exercises. Depending on the amount of time that I have that day I will either run them together or "superset" them or I will just do them one after the other. My gym can get a bit crowded so often times these are selected based on which machines or areas are open. I don't like to stand around and wait because for some reason my, "I see you're on your phone, but how many sets do you have left?" comes off a bit aggressive or so I've been told. There are way too many exercises out there for me to recommend just 3-4. I can give you 10+ exercises just for your chest alone. I started lifting when I was 14 years old and over the course of 15 years I've found which exercises I like and the ones that I feel work best for me. I will every now and then see a movement on instagram and decide to try it, but normally it doesn't work well for me. So my suggestion here is to do the same. Try everything (with proper form) and see what you like. Before long you will be able to select these in your sleep. Again, 3-4 sets of 10 reps should suffice.


4. Finally, Core & Cool-down Stretch

Now you've reached the end of your workout and you're probably ready to grab your bag and go eat, but taking 5-10 minutes to do a quick ab workout and cool down is a better way to go. I'm not great about doing this (because I dedicate an entire workout to cardio and core), but the waistline is one if not the biggest problem area for my friends/clients. If you agree then why not do some core training after each workout. I will select a machine/workout and do 3 quick sets of 12-15 reps and stretch in between sets. This part of the workout doesn't take long at all and sometimes I will do more than this and sometimes less. Just depends on my mood.

Welp, those are my suggestions on how to build the blueprint of your weightlifting workout. Short and straight to the point as promised. Again, this is the outline that works best for me. Find what works best for you, just remember... you've got to coordinate. 

Image result for stretch


************************

If you find that you have any specific questions after reading this, please leave a comments or email me directly at btyfamily@gmail.com. If you have any topics that you would like me to touch on in the future, shoot those my way as well. All questions/suggestions are both encouraged and welcomed. 

If you like the content in this post, please like and subscribe to the site. More content is coming. Also, if you feel that someone would benefit please feel free to share with your friends and inner circle.

Comments