Race 4 Change.

Last year I was invited to run a 5k with a few of my friends from graduate school. My first thought was that they were crazy! See a 5k is 3.1 miles and for those who may not know me, running anything other than a football play or rounding the bases for a casual softball game is just not my forte. After a lot of persuasion from the gang, I decided to give it a try just to see what happens. The race was hosted by Kappa Delta at East Carolina University and once I found out that proceeds benefited the prevention of child abuse I was all in. My only goal was to run the whole race without walking and I must say that it was really tough.... but it was also amazing! I finished in 28 minutes and really just enjoyed the fellowship for a cause that I was able to accomplished with some of my friends.....

The reason behind telling that story is to introduce and encourage a way to stay active for change. Since then I've ran for charity at the Color Run - Winston Salem (I highly recommend a color run) and also for the [breast cancer] cure this past weekend at Meredith College. Taking time to think about the issues that a prominent in our communities is the first step, but taking action allows the community to grow so that the change we hope fun turns into change that we can be proud of. Running for change is kind of the theme that I have given myself as I run my race and the change is as much for myself as anyone who may benefit externally. Staying physically active helps us by lowering our risk for countless diseases and conditions. What brings me the most joy these days is seeing those people I care about working to become healthier and physically fit. I remember feeling so accomplished after finishing my first race and fulfilled for the growth I've seen in myself and in other runners around me.

My challenge to those under the voice of this post to think about an issue, take action, and grow as an individual & role model for the youth... I can't stress enough how much good we can do if we can learn to love our neighbors. I can't wait to run in the Eve Carson Memorial 5K (raised $52,000 last year) next year and add a mud run to my résumé. Ghandi said that we must be the change that we wish to see in the world. I say why not start today, in your own backyard.

Believe in yourself and have faith in your abilities..... think about it.

Color Run - Winston Salem

Ran for the Cure - Meredith College

Comments

  1. yo that was your first 5k?! You beasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea man! Trying to get like you. You were moving at that color run.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment